ISAIAH 61:1-4

ISAIAH 61:1-4


The Spirit of the Lord is upon me and has anointed me to
Preach the good news to the poor. .
Bind up the brokenhearted,
Proclaim freedom for the captives,
Proclaim release from darkness for the prisoners,
Comfort all who mourn
Provide for those who grieve in Zion to bestow on them
BEAUTY FOR ASHES
The oil of gladness for mourning
And a garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness

Friday, July 21, 2006

"But I don't Feel like it"

Did you ever have one of those days in which everything felt wrong, yet there was really nothing major amiss? A dizzy day, an anxious day, a down day, a negative thought day. I had one last week.
For no real reason, I couldn't sleep, couldn't think, couldn't function normally. Several times that day, I went over to the church for awhile to play the piano, to meditate, (my state of mind wouldn't even let me pray) just to calm myself down.
That day I was positive that nobody loved me, not even God, for after all if I was so unlovable to myself, how could anyone else stand me. Fortunately, I knew that it was only a battle, only a day (or sometimes a few). I knew to hold on. I knew that, I could "lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber." (Psalms 121:1-3)
I knew it, but didn't feel it. It felt like God was on vacation, or at least taking a nap. Our culture has served us badly by placing so much emphasis on the feeling of a situation or a time, or an era. We are regularly encouraged by popular culture to follow our feelings while scripture exhorts us to follow knowledge and obey. "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh; (for the weapons of our wafare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds); casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (II Corinthians 10:3-5)
What "imaginations" need pulling down today? What feelings have exalted themselves against the knowledge of God? What thoughts need to be taken captive?
Prayer: Today and everyday, God, help me to remember that the major battlefield is that of my mind. Give me the courage and wisdom to recognize the battle and take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by. Leave a comment or a prayer request.