ISAIAH 61:1-4

ISAIAH 61:1-4


The Spirit of the Lord is upon me and has anointed me to
Preach the good news to the poor. .
Bind up the brokenhearted,
Proclaim freedom for the captives,
Proclaim release from darkness for the prisoners,
Comfort all who mourn
Provide for those who grieve in Zion to bestow on them
BEAUTY FOR ASHES
The oil of gladness for mourning
And a garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness

Monday, October 11, 2010

Good News To the Poor

Isaiah 63:1  "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor."

We are engaged in an interesting activity this week.   During Tuesday night Bible Study, each participant was given a $20-bill with instructions to give it away this week and report back on Tuesday what happened.  We were to get out of our usual patterns of interaction and look for someone that would be blessed.
 
Bob and went out tonight to a 1/2 price night at a resale shop not that far from where we live.   I met someone I used to know and felt the urging of God to give mine to her with a blessing from me and the church and a promise of prayer. 

Bob went into the resale store and found a 3-member, 3-generational family sorting clothes in a basket.   He introduced himself, "Our church is doing a project.  We are to bless someone this week.  Would it offend you if I gave you $20 as a blessing from God."
The grandma promptly responded, "Offend us?  It would save us!  We're trying to decide which of these clothes we can buy for my grandson.   He needs some warm clothes."

We chatted for a few minutes, and gave them a church card.    As we were walking away, I heard the child ask, "What did they do."   

Grandma, "They gave us $20."

"$20???" He asked in the incredible voice I might have used if someone had handed me a week's salary.

Sometimes the good news to the poor is a tangible evidence that God loves them!!!    No matter who you are, or what your circumstance, God loves YOU!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by. Leave a comment or a prayer request.