ISAIAH 61:1-4

ISAIAH 61:1-4


The Spirit of the Lord is upon me and has anointed me to
Preach the good news to the poor. .
Bind up the brokenhearted,
Proclaim freedom for the captives,
Proclaim release from darkness for the prisoners,
Comfort all who mourn
Provide for those who grieve in Zion to bestow on them
BEAUTY FOR ASHES
The oil of gladness for mourning
And a garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Provide (comfort) for those who grieve in Zion


The story had me in tears.   Yet I noticed that the Grandmothers (grannies) there were rejoicing!  Rejoicing that their grandchildren though stricken with AIDS and rendered parent-less, had food to eat and clothes to wear.   Although I did note that some of the little tee-shirts had huge holes!  In addition the ministry assists young girls to get out of the sex trade and acquire an education.

Uganda.  I think of Idi Amin and his reign of terror during the 1970's.  Today Uganda is 207 (out of 227) in per capita income.   It is certainly not a prosperous place, but they are working on providing employment and income for their people.  The per capita income is averaged at $1,200.   (Makes me cringe...even if I did grow my own vegetables.)   That doesn't pay for much education and health care.  It is 14th in the world with the most people living with HIV/AIDS.   Most of them children.  Most of those orphaned.

I'm thinking I may be headed to Uganda this summer.     But in the meantime, if you hit the "donate" button on the website, you can fund a child's education for a paltry $30.00 per month.   I'm gonna take the leap on that one -- today!!!   Who will join me??

 Two ex-sex workers with a volunteer.
 Children from the orphanage and nursery lined up for lunch.
A Canadian medical doctor dances with the "Grannies".   The grannies take care of their orphaned grandchildren in the village, but are assisted either through no cost loans, or donations of animals, etc. to raise their standard of living.   "Teach a grannie to fish" is the idea!!

Like I said, I'm helping out today!!!

Blessings,
Pastor Phylis



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by. Leave a comment or a prayer request.