ISAIAH 61:1-4

ISAIAH 61:1-4


The Spirit of the Lord is upon me and has anointed me to
Preach the good news to the poor. .
Bind up the brokenhearted,
Proclaim freedom for the captives,
Proclaim release from darkness for the prisoners,
Comfort all who mourn
Provide for those who grieve in Zion to bestow on them
BEAUTY FOR ASHES
The oil of gladness for mourning
And a garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Health Update

Health Update
Yesterday was the third iron treatment. My blood count is up somewhat, still below normal, but rising. That is good. The doctor insists I go for a colonoscopy though to check for bleeding. He still thinks I'm losing blood somewhere.

I had a bit more of an allergic reaction to this one. When I got home my face, neck and shoulders were red and rashlike. I took a couple of Benedryl capsules and it went away. But then last night, I slept like a log. I fell asleep on the couch about 8:00 went to bed at 11:00 and didn't get up until almost 10 am today. Benedryl really knocks me out...but it also takes care of the reaction.

After the first couple of iron treatments, my "Sahara moments" returned with a vengence. A week ago, I had one during treatment. Now the doctor says those are also an allergic reaction.

I must be a master at understatement. The nurses were sure that the hot, turning red spells were simply an exaggerated hot flash. But once they actually saw one, they changed their minds and called the doctor who says "allergic reaction".  There's something to be said for being dramatic when describing medical symptoms!!

So I suppose I could have been much more comfortable months ago if I had simply taken Benedryl for "hot flashes" instead of Cohosh tea or Cohosh capsules. The Benedryl takes it right away. But they had me convinced that it wasn't related to chemotherapy except that chemo was killing estrogen to cause the hot flash. Even my description of a hot flash that lasts for as long as 10 hours and only could be endured by packing myself in ice didn't do what simply seeing me turn beet red in a matter of seconds did. Whatever! Not that it matters so much now...treatment is almost over. Maybe soon I can actually sleep through the night without being packed in ice.

Pastor Phylis

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by. Leave a comment or a prayer request.